Problematic drug use, also known as drug addiction, impacts the life of your loved one physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually. Drug addiction is characterized by a never ending obsession with mood or mind altering substances coupled with a compulsion to follow through with the use of the substance regardless of the consequences. Drug addiction is a progressive and incurable disease of the mind and body and if left untreated can result in death or institutionalization.
Drug Addiction Questionnaire
The below questionnaire can help you or your loved one determine if their drug use is problematic. Â While it is not an exhaustive list and your loved one might not exhibit all of the behaviors listed in the questionnaire, exhibiting even a few can be the first signs of a problem and that it is time to get them some help.
Answer the following questions with a â€˜yesâ€™ or â€˜noâ€™ answer.
- Have you ever used drugs other than those prescribed by a doctor?
- If your doctor prescribes you drugs, do you always use them exactly as prescribed?
- Can you get through the day, week or month without using drugs?
- Have you had â€˜blackoutsâ€™ or â€˜flashbacksâ€™ as a result of drug use?
- Have you ever felt guilty about your drug use?
- Do you use drugs to deal with feelings, stress or boredom?
- Has anyone in your life ever criticized or shown concern about your drug use?
- Has your drug use ever caused you to miss school, work or important life events?
- Do you get into conflict and/or violent situations with others when under the influence of drugs?
- Have you ever experienced withdrawal when you tried to stop taking drugs?
- Do you try to limit your drug or use to certain days, times or events?
- Have you ever tried to stop using drugs and been unsuccessful?
- Have you ever stolen or borrowed money in order to buy drugs?
- Have you tried to hide the signs of your drug use from the people in your life?
- Has your family member ever sought help for drug related problems?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for drug related issues?
If you answered â€˜Yesâ€™ to 1 or more of the above questions you may be experiencing problem substance use.